Since we constructed the run for the chickens that could potentially withstand an earthquake, which we do not have many of here, we re-roofed our house ourselves, planted the raised beds, crushed one foot, learned to walk with crutches, are in the beginning of a 2-week long trip to Australia (on crutches), and are getting caught up on some much needed rest!
We planted 4 blackberry bushes a few months ago that were about 6-8″ tall. The largest of the four had one bloom on it, which, with a huge smile on my face is a nice little green blackberry!!! Most of the fruit trees we planted 3 years ago have fruit on them.
The only challenge we continually face are aphids and these little tiny white mites… anyone have any organic suggestions?
Do you remember when you were last in a sandbox, playing? I certainly don’t… And, I don’t think I ever had so much fun as the girls are having.
The box is constructed out of 2x4s on edge and is approximately 2′ x 2′. All 8 chickens are trying to fit in the box all at once. It works if they all stand up. But, of course, they want to lay and roll, and flap their wings.
A few of them went to check out their new DIY feeders, which left only 4 of the girls in the box. OMG, what pleasure!! They lowered themselves into the sand, and rolled over on their backs, just like our Jacks, and squirmed to get the sand all over. As I am typing this, wondering about the motivation, I think it might feel good on all those new feathers coming in, maybe breaking up the quills.
It only lasted a little while. The other girls returned and wanted their turn. The returning chicks walked on top of the girls laying down, scratched at girls, and then lowered themselves and scooted around to claim their spot.
Such ecstasy in a few inches of contained sand. I think we are going to have to build a new box at the other end of the run…
Miss Charlotte was the smart girl who figured out how to get up into the lower nesting boxes first!
She sat up there, above the others, so smug, for quite a while!
Others have since followed her lead. We are waiting to see who will make it up to the higher nesting boxes first… Any bets??
The run is done!!
The girls have moved in!!
The dogs are going crazy…
As we moved the girls from the half-way house to their new home one-by-one, they were panicked, until they saw one of the other girls waiting.
Punky went first. She may be the smallest of the flock, but she has been nicknamed “Punky the Brave.”
She was the first to let me scratch her neck, sit on my knee, and always is right there waiting for the fresh food and water. She’s also the one who plays tag with the other chickens.
Isabella, our other White Leghorn, was next. Look at that pose! What a beauty!
Maggie Mae let me capture her next. She is reserved and a little shy, but not as much as Morgan.
Next were Buffy and then Sandy, the Buff Orpingtons.
Then, Charlotte and Gracie, the Americaunas. Charlotte has the dark stripe going from her beak through her eye and back to her neck. Gracie’s head is mottled all over.
And finally, Morgan…
All together in their new home, exploring… one corner, at least.
Well, we had a few hours yesterday afternoon to make a little more headway…
The trenching around the bottom edge is complete. The bottom section of the welded wire is almost complete. And one end has the corrugated metal attached.
We have a good stretch of time today to finish the rest and move the girls in.
They are so ready to be out of their half-way house and literally spread their wings out!
The next project after this is to build new feeders – Check out these no spill chicken feeders!!
Well, we had high hopes that we would finish the chicken run on day two and be able to move the girls into their new digs! But, securing the welded wire was quite the challenge. We started with the roof pieces around the trees, knowing those sections would take the most time and thought. We have roof rats in our area and wanted to make sure there were no holes around the tree trunk and branches that would allow a roof rat to slide in and devour the chicken food.
We placed the wire, cutting around the tree as close as possible without allowing the wire to cut into or scratch up the tree. Then we came in with single strand wire and wove around the tree to close the gaps the cutting made.
The roof rats are pretty large and I am hoping that they will not be able to squeeze through. We also thought about filling the holes with steel wool for a further deterrent.
So, here’s what we accomplished yesterday…
The roof is complete. The top portion of all of the walls, except the one end is started. Once these wall pieces are secured, we will dig narrow trenches along the bottom of each wall so the bottom pieces of the welded wire can be buried below grade. After the welded wire is finished on the bottom sections, we will place 26″ wide corrugated metal (horizontal) in the same trench in front of the welded wire to deter the dogs even further. Look for more progress soon!
As promised, here’s pictures of what we accomplished yesterday…
The overall dimensions of the run are 32′ long x 7′ deep x 6′ high (in the back) or 5′-6″ high (in the front). The front posts are 8′ on center. And the horizontal bridging is approximately 3′ down from the header.
Today, we construct the door and secure the wire over the framing.
The roof framing is 2 x 4s 36″ on center. We used this spacing because the width of the wire is 36″. The most challenging aspect of the roof will be cutting the wire so it can go around the tree trunks without any holes for possible breach.