And the answer is…
Turn it into a tilapia pond!
Here’s our jacuzzi with hydroponics beds over the top ready to be filled with bags of clay pellets. The plan is to pump the fish water up to the plants, allowing the plants to clean the water, then flowing back into the fish pond.
To protect the fish, we decided to build a geodesic dome greenhouse over the top. We used PVC due to its ease of cutting and construction. Here’s the 1st row being laid out.
The 2nd row going up.
The covering is solar rated plastic covering. We have a door cut on the north side. And we ended up cutting two windows towards the top on the east and west sides to create more air flow.
Here’s the 10 or 12 tiny tilapia coming home in the ice cooler.
And here are the babies home in their new pond.
We completed this project over a month ago and the fish have grown tremendously. About 2 weeks after this first group, we purchased 10 or so more. And since then, we have 2 or 3 new babies. In 14 months or so, we will have dinner!